Thursday, October 16, 2008

The Books on My Nightstand

It's Thursday so it's time for a blog entry related to my personal life. In my blog profile, I've listed some of my favorite books - The Omnivore's Dilemma, The Cactus Eaters, and The Road to Sata. I'm a voracious reader and spend the late evening hours reading multiple books. Here are the 10 books on my nightstand tonight:

Michael Moore's 2008 Election Guide by Michael Moore - the always irreverent Michael Moore (Roger and Me, Sicko etc.) offering his insight into the 2008 presidential campaign

Roughing It by Mark Twain - One of Mark Twain's most popular books about his early life exploring the Gold Country and Eastern Sierra of California, the same locations I've spent my summers for almost 30 years

Waiter Rant by The Waiter - A hilarious tale of real life experiences in restaurants. I'll never eat out again

The Nature of Nature Edited by William H. Shore - an anthology about some of the greatest joys of nature and challenges facing the environment today.

In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan - relearning how we eat in a world filled with high fructose corn syrup and overprocessed foods

The Assault on Reason by Al Gore - an insider's look at how Washington and our political system functions/dysfunctions

Plenty by Alisa Smith and JB MacKinnon - a yearlong journey devoted to eating regionally and sustainably.

The Devil's Whisper by Miyuki Miyabe - a murder mystery by Japan's leading mystery writer

Beyond the White House by Jimmy Carter - an autobiography of our nation's greatest living "post" president describing his life after the White House

These are all great reads and I recommend them highly.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I mentioned this comment within the blog regarding the open source presentation given at the medsphere conference, but figured it would be also relevant to this discussion as well.

There was a reference at the conference to a book regarding the quality of care at the VA, which included the transformation of the system using the open source VistA product. I am struggling to find it so if anyone could point me in the correct direction, I would definitely appreciate it. dwhitmore@dewpartners.com Thanks!